Monday, September 4, 2017

labour day podcasts

There could be not a nicer Labour Day - hot with a breeze, after yesterday's chilly late afternoon rain. And the city is still, except for the air show, blasting around in the sky every so often. And then, still again.

Amazing even myself, I went to Carol's Boot Camp at the Y at 9 a.m. this morning. Carol is my spectacular Wednesday teacher, a woman nearly 70 who looks 50 at most, is off to run a marathon soon - where did she say? Singapore? Dublin? Rio? She has run all over the world. Anyway, I have never made one of her holiday boot camp classes because they start at 9 a.m. and because of the words "boot camp." However, today's was on the green roof of the Y, so I went. And it was wonderful - the Y's roof is planted with wild grasses, and we ran around in the morning sun, most of the participants fast, some of us slowly, and did other boot campy things, some with a great deal of energy and commitment, and some, not so much. I was one of the slowest and weakest. But I was there, exercising on the roof of the Y at 9.15 a.m. on Labour Day. It felt great.

And then, continuing my virtuous streak, I cooked for hours in the afternoon, listening to podcasts while using my own basil and garlic to make pesto and my own tomatoes, garlic and basil to make pasta sauce. I picked one of the biggest cucumbers I've ever seen and made a cucumber avocado lemon salad with my own parsley. For the next few days, I will eat well, little grasshopper. Come on over and join me.

And while I worked, these fabulous podcasts. The Anne Lamott one I've heard before but it bears hearing again, perhaps regularly - she's so funny and wise. And the other - not so funny but very wise. Happy labour day to you all.
https://www.ted.com/talks/anne_lamott_12_truths_i_learned_from_life_and_writing

https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend

Tomorrow, Eli goes to Senior Kindergarten. He's a senior already.

PS. Tears in my eyes. Rosemary, who's read my first 40 pages, just emailed that she will send them soon. I make the occasional small suggestion, but generally I think you’ve nailed it this time – it moves along, without any dragging at all. 

Nailed it! No dragging at all! Can a writer ask for more? 

No comments:

Post a Comment