Sunday, April 19, 2015

our last supper

We went! I got out of bed and put on all my layers of clothes, because despite the sun, it was a chilly evening - going down to zero degrees in the night. We were perched outside right over the water, watching the sunset. A beautiful end to a beautiful week. Bruce got a two for one deal, because I could hardly eat any of my dinner. Couldn't even photograph it - pasta with shrimps and zucchini. But his was amazing, and he liked mine too.

A record - we ordered a quarter litre of wine and didn't finish it. That has never happened to me in the history of my life. Shocking.

I'll be back to my old self tomorrow. And alone. How I shall miss my dear compagnero. But not alone for long - tomorrow I get an Italian train to Ventimiglia and then a French train to Nice - I'll be able to speak fluently, at last. Get to the hotel about 8 p.m. Have the morning to explore Nice - I assume a walk on the Promenade des Anglais - then a 2 p.m. train to Avignon, getting in at 5, where my friend Denis will meet me and drive to Gordes, one of loveliest villages in France and where he and one of my oldest friends, Lynn, have lived for many years. Lynn says she'll be waiting with aperitif and dinner - two of my favourite words. I hope to be able to enjoy both by Tuesday. Wednesday we may drive to the Alps to visit a mutual friend and stay at Denis's family chalet, and who knows what, until Saturday when I get the train to Paris for my last night. Sunday HOME.

Only three more beds before I leave. By this time next week,  I will be in my own bed. At least, that's the plan. I've learned to say that.
                                                          click to enlarge



No comments:

Post a Comment