Monday, February 9, 2015

Book City on the Danforth, I love you

Just had a meeting with my editor, who's going to read a first, very preliminary draft of the 1979 memoir in a few weeks. Something to aim for, a goal, a pair of eyes and a great brain to help me see what I'm doing. A good editor is a midwife later, but earlier, she's a flashlight - here's your path through the darkness. She's a gardener - prune here, plant here. She's a ... that's enough.

She asked how the Beatles memoir is doing and I told her - not very well, as it has had almost no press. We talked about how very hard it is, even with a big publisher, but especially when you are self-published, to get your books noticed. At least, a certain kind of book. She had been to a conference where a self-published mystery writer told the group she makes over $200,000 a year from her books.

Ha.
Ha. Ha.

But most, the vast majority of writers do not make enough to live on, if anything at all. That's just the way it is, particularly now the digital world is taking over and no one knows what the rules are.

ON THE OTHER HAND: I just had this very welcome email from an old friend.
I saw your book, All my loving, with all the new releases in the Book City at Carrot Common on the Danforth. Just saw it this morning. The green cover with la tour Eiffel  and two clasped hands just popped. Was very happy to see it. 
Congratulations and Happy freezing cold new year.
Thrilling, you have no idea! How did All My Loving get to Book City, one of the best (and only) independent bookstores left in town? I must go and visit it. Hello, little book - how did you make your way over here? So glad to see you out in the world. Do your best to fly away.

Thank you, Book City, for giving this writer such an unexpected boost in the middle of February.

2 comments:

  1. I ordered your book from the Bloor West Book City which we lost several years ago but which has made a triumphant return to our little Village. It is in exactly the same spot from which it departed several years ago. I will highlight it again when I casually drop in for a chat this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered your book from the Bloor West Book City which we lost several years ago but which has made a triumphant return to our little Village. It is in exactly the same spot from which it departed several years ago. I will highlight it again when I casually drop in for a chat this week.

    ReplyDelete