Monday, October 13, 2014

Hello Goodbye, Macca my love

Big McCartney event coming up November 18 - the release of a tribute album called The Art of McCartney that's been in preparation, apparently, for 11 years - his songs done by diverse others. To make your mouth water: "Things we said today" done by Bob Dylan; "Yesterday" by Willie Nelson (can't you just hear that plaintive twang?); "Drive my car" by - yes! - Dion; "Eleanor Rigby" by - no! - Alice Cooper; "Hey Jude" by Steve Miller; "When I'm 64" by Barry Gibb. Be still my beating heart. Someone whose blog you read will be lining up to buy.

Here's "Hello Goodbye" done for the album by the Cure, featuring Paul's son James on piano - a baby-faced clone. A great song, after all these years. Puccini, Verdi, McCartni - they all sound Italian to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDxDW9jEjHg

And here's my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner last night, besides my sparkling wit and some dark chocolate - the last bouquet from the garden. Everything was delightful - Jean-Marc is a fantastic cook and Richard is a walking encyclopedia about politics and history. I give thanks. And soon I'll go across town, to play in the park with Eli and Anna and to have dinner with a giant boy who is now - is it possible? - 30. 30 years ago today I was getting ready one of the two greatest productions of my life. A meaningful Thanksgiving.
PS - Now I'm stuck in the kitchen by the radio. CBC 94.1 is playing Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations. I will sit here till it's over. Glenn is singing to us and to Johann Sebastian Bach, with his powerful fingers and his voice and his great, great heart. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment