Wednesday, September 11, 2013

hot and wet

Yesterday, the Quran and Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey," among others, had been left in the Little Free Library. Today they're both gone, replaced with Penelope Lively and Catherine Cookson.

34 degrees yesterday and nearly that today, and Friday, it will be back to 14. Bizarre. My daughter and her son are suffering because all the city pools are closed. It's absurd - the minute school starts, they close everything, even though there are lots of hot little people and their mothers with nowhere to cool off.

My son appeared late last night for some TLC (and because he has no TV at his place and his computer just broke). He has been working 20 hour days at TIFF with a bone chip in his wrist and a sprained thumb. Enjoying the buzz, though - knowing that Brad Pitt and other twinkling luminaries are in the building, if not actually standing beside him.  The city is insane for two weeks, but in a fun way. Tonight I'm going to the premiere of a Canadian film with a friend - the movie starts at 10! I'll have to have a serious nap. I'm usually in my jammies getting ready for Jon Stewart at 10.

Early yesterday evening, a wonderful U of T event, our annual dinner celebrating Continuing Studies. Delicious food, meeting my colleagues, and this year's gift was an umbrella, much needed. My course there is a go already, and it doesn't start till October. Come one come all.

It rained overnight, and this morning my veg garden was steaming with good smells. I picked three fat green peppers, some cherry tomatoes and a big bunch of basil, and felt very good about my minuscule urban farm. Especially when I make spaghetti sauce for the boy, who will probably sleep till mid-afternoon.

Waiting to hear from the publisher. Waiting for the no, wondering where I'll send the book next.

No comments:

Post a Comment