Monday, March 19, 2012

je suis ici

What's important with jet lag, they say, is to get your face in the sun, and to try not to sleep until the nighttime of wherever you are. So that's what I'm doing right now - sitting in front of the window in my little hotel room with my face in the sun, and trying not to fall over face first onto the keyboard.

Talk about a painless flight - a 767 (I think), or in any case, a very big plane, and the funny thing was that first class was packed and the rest of us rabble at the back in economy had room to spare. Of course they have their snazzy pod thingies and free champagne, but this time, I got to stretch out across 3 middle seats. It was heaven. Unfortunately, I was hit with major motion sickness or else just stress and fatigue and had a rough few hours at the end, turning white and shaky. I mean, whiter and shakier than usual.

But now I can navigate the vast airport and get onto the metro and off at my stop and to the hotel with no problem whatsoever. I asked for a street view room in this, one of the cheapest and nicest hotels in all of Paris - the bathroom is in the hall, but now, you don't have to steal wifi from the McDonald's across the street, it's IN THE ROOM, and the window opens south to a noisy Paris vista. It was bitter cold and grey when we landed, but now, 2.30 p.m., the sun is fierce. After unloading, I went out to have lunch, looking longingly at the rue Mouffetard outdoor cafes, empty because of the cold. I ate inside, and when I got out, the sun had just started to shine, and the sidewalk cafe was full.

Of note: I'm amazed, again, at how many people still smoke. Passed a woman huddled outside with a coffee and a cig, beside her a baby in a pram. She'd be lynched in Toronto.

So this is me writing with absolutely no brain at all. Tonight, a good night's sleep and all will be well.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to read. As you know, I adore the rue Mouffetard -- could spend a day sampling cheeses...And that church at the bottom of the street -- St. Bedard, I think? -- has the most joyous bells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close - St. Medard - in "Les Miserables," Jean Valjean hides there at one point. And of course Hem and Hadley lived at the top of rue Mouffetard, near the Place Contrescarpe, and many other writers too. Luckily for me, it was all closed today so my favourite bakery in the world was not accessible. But I'll be back. And so will you.
    b.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, St. Medard. (I have a cold and feel like I'm hearing everything as though underwater. Maybe remembering that way too...)But I sat in sunlight on a bench there, pulling bits of bread off a long warm loaf, and dreaming my way into a small flat above a shop.

      Delete
  3. I was there this morning, Theresa, and will soon be back. And yes, with a cold, it's definitely Bedard. I can see you there. I'll rip apart tomorrow's croissant and toast you, and all dreamers on the rue Mouffetard.
    b.

    ReplyDelete