Wednesday, March 16, 2011

en route

8 p.m., in the strange ghostly netherworld of the airport, Gate 181. I got here absurdly early - 3 hours - thanks to my friend Sally who drove me to the subway, and then the absolutely effortless ride here on public transit. It cost me $2.75 to get here in just over an hour. Had supper with a glass of wine, reading the "Walrus," perfectly relaxed - long may this last.

A lovely day here, in the end - sunny and mild - my face pressed to the window of the Airport Rocket bus, to catch the last rays. Happy spring, my Toronto friends.

Bruce tells me it was 22 degrees in Seville yesterday. I have of course packed sweaters, boots and coats. Ah well - always fun to have to rush out and buy a few hot weather garments, if absolutely necessary. And it's still only March - better to be safe.

The roots are ripped away now, and I'm full of joyful anticipation. How lucky I am, to be able to get away for long periods like this, particularly this time with everything taken care of in the house, my kids completely independent on the other side of town, and the cat ... well, she will miss me, and so will my mother. Hard to leave Mum. But it's only a month, and it will do me much good, new places and faces, fresh air, no routine, no Y, no second hand stores, no teaching ... A new unencumbered me, in a foreign land. Let's see who she is tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment