Tuesday, September 14, 2010

wonder

A reader called Moira responded to my post about David Suzuki's film with a suggestion: to watch this little clip. It gives a taste of what he talks about in the film. Please watch. And you can also see longer clips from the actual film, I think, on the NFB site.
http://testtube.nfb.ca

I am awash in wonder at the world these days, more so after seeing the film. Last night, after teaching, I watched some of the stunning documentary "Winged Migration" on PBS, and the beauty, strength and humour of those birds was deeply moving and marvellous. And today - just the wonder of my garden, a new little orangey-pink rose just opened, the swarms of wasps who will soon vanish, my own cavalcade of birds, the sky and air changing from minute to minute - I feel so profoundly grateful to be alive, to be part of all this.

And that I live a life that allows me this time and tranquillity. I am not rushing off on the subway or the highways to work 9 to 5, then rushing back to feed a family. I live near my work which is part time anyway, and my family feed themselves (except the crabby cat). I know, it's all very well for me to stand around in my garden rhapsodizing, when most of the world is working like crazy to keep food on the table.

Perhaps, in sharing my joy, I can help pass a bit of it on? I don't know. I can't feel guilty for having time and space in a way that many people do not. So all I know to do with the gifts I've been given is to use them to write.

Like this.

1 comment:

  1. your article is very great, im a honest reader that often come to view your articles. waiting for your more good thems.thanks.

    ReplyDelete